DO YOU KNOW YOUR SPIRITUAL BIRTHRIGHT AND PRIESTHOOD?
"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."
1 John 3:1, 2.
"No man receives holiness as a birthright, or as a gift from any other human being. Holiness is the gift of God through Christ. Those who receive the Saviour become sons of God. They are His spiritual children, born again, renewed in righteousness and true holiness. Their minds are changed. With clearer vision they behold eternal realities. They are adopted into God's family, and they become conformed to His likeness, changed by His Spirit from glory to glory. From cherishing supreme love for self, they come to cherish supreme love for God and for Christ... Accepting Christ as a personal Savior and following His example of self-denial - this is the secret of holiness." Sign of the Times, Dec. 17, 1902.
THE BIRTHRIGHT: THE EXCELLENCY OF DIGNITY, OF POWER
REUBEN WAS THE FIRSTBORN OF JACOB:
"Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power: Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou went up to thy father's bed; then defiled thou it: he went up to my couch."
Genesis 49: 3, 4.
"The promises made to Abraham and confirmed to his son were held by Isaac and Rebekah as the great object of their desires and hopes. With these promises Esau and Jacob were familiar. They were taught to regard the birthright as a matter of great importance, for it included not only an inheritance of worldly wealth but spiritual pre-eminence. He who received it was to be the priest of his family, and in the line of his posterity the Redeemer of the world would come. On the other hand, there were obligations resting upon the possessor of the birthright. He who should inherit its blessings must devote his life to the service of God. Like Abraham, he must be obedient to the divine requirements. In marriage, in his family relations, in public life, he must consult the will of God."
Patriarchs and Prophets, p. 177, 178.
THE BIRTHRIGHT INCLUDED:
1. AN INHERITANCE OF WORDLY WEALTH: A DOUBLE PORTION
OF THE FATHER'S WEALTH
2. TO BE THE PROGENITOR OF THE REDEEMER TO COME
3. TO BE THE PRIEST OF THE FAMILY
LOST OF BIRTHRIGHT IN THE OLD TESTAMENT:
1. Cain lost his birthright after he killed Abel - anger and rebellion.
Genesis 4: 3-11.
2. Esau lost his birthright for a bowl of lentils - appetite and lack of
self-control. Genesis 27: 1-46.
3. Reuben lost his birthright because he slept with his father's
concubine - passion and lack of self-control. Genesis 49: 3, 4.
JACOB'S THREE SONS INHERITED THE BIRTHRIGHT INSTEAD OF THE FIRSTBORN REUBEN:
1. Joseph received the DOUBLE PORTION through Ephraim and
2. Judah became the PROGENITOR of the Redeemer.
3. Levi received the PRIESTHOOD.
THE SPIRITUAL MEANING OF THE BIRTHRIGHT:
1. THE DOUBLE PORTION:
- The Early and the Latter Rain of the Precious Truth and the Present Truth as received from the Holy Spirit. Deuteronomy 32:2; Zechariah 10:1; Matthew 25: 1-13
The 10 virgins: Both had the Holy Spirit (the oil) but the 5 foolish had the precious truth only - 5 wise had the precious truth and the present truth and were ready for the marriage supper of the Lamb.
- The outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the Early and Latter Rain. See study on the Latter Rain, file 17, titled: The Latter Rain, showers or storms.